OPEN CALL FOR CONTINENTAL YOUTH CONSULTATION 2019
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: NOVEMBER 15, 2019
The African Governance Platform through its Secretariat based at the Department of Political Affairs, together with the Humanitarian Affairs, Refugees, and Internally Displaced Persons Division (HARDP) of the African Union Commission and in collaboration with the Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA) will co-convene the 2019 Continental Youth Consultation under the theme ‘Youth and Forced Displacement in Africa – Trends, Challenges and Prospects towards Durable Solutions'. This is in line with the 2019 AU theme of the Year: ‘Refugees, Returnees and Internally Displaced Persons: Towards Durable Solutions for Forced Displacement in Africa’
The main goal of the Continental Youth Consultation is to provide a collaborative, open and inclusive space to leverage and foster meaningful participation of young people towards achieving durable solutions to forced displacement in Africa. It is expected that the Continental Youth Consultation will provide a safe space for young people to deliberate, ideate and contribute to the discussions on the theme of the year and provide actionable recommendations.
Applications are open for interested participants to take part in the Continental Youth Consultations scheduled to take place from 2-3 December 2019 in Kampala, Uganda.
Selected youth participants will also be accorded an opportunity to participate in the 8th High Level Dialogue, Opportunities, Challenges and Prospects on the AU theme of the year. The HLD will be held also from 4-6 December 2019 in Kampala, Uganda.
Criteria for Selection
In an effort to make the Continental Youth Consultations as inclusive and diverse as possible, the African Union will select youth who are engaged in State and non-State institutions, and who have made significant and demonstrable contribution (work experience and educational background) in the areas of Refugees, IDPs and Returnees and more specifically focusing on youth. Participants will be selected on the basis of their submission from an Open Call using the following Selection Criteria:
- Youth-led and oriented organisations implementing activities that are related to forced displacement, Human Rights and Governance including prominent youth that have contributed to the forced displacement discourse;
- Youth that are themselves Refugees, IDPs and Returnees ;
- AU Member States, Including representatives of National Institutions, Agencies that focus on forced displacement, Human Rights and Governance;
- Think Thanks and Academic Research institutions with experience in promoting youth participation in initiatives in Refugees, IDPs and Returnees, Human rights and governance issues;
- Media Practitioners;
- Private Sector;
- International and African-based organisations and Development Partners;
- Youth participants should be between 18-35 years of age; and,
- Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Participants will be selected on the basis of motivation and experience. The AU will ensure balance in terms of age, gender, language, geography and diversity among selected participants.
As part of activities of the Continental Youth Consultations, youth and youth organizations will be afforded an opportunity to share their ideas and initiatives with participants on the AfricaTalks DGTrends Platform using a TED-Talk style approach. Kindly fill the section on the registration form indicating your willingness to present your initiatives at the Continental forums.
Scholarships for travel & participation: the travel, visa and accommodation of selected youth participants will be covered by the African Union and its Partners. No additional application is needed for sponsorship. Self-sponsored participants are also encouraged to apply.
Deadline for the receipt of application is November 15, 2019.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.